Sunday, 31 May 2009

History Of Bandung (The Flower City)

History Of Bandung
(The Flower City)

Bandung Photo
History Of Bandung (The Flower City) dates since 1488 as the first situation to Bandung existents. As from earliest archeological discoverss, we identify the bandung city was home to Australopithecus, Java Man. The Java Man lived on the sides of the Cikapundung in north Bandung, the Huge Lake of Bandung. The relics can still be found in the top of Dago area, the Geological Museum also has shows and parts of the skeletal remains and the artifacts.

The Sundanese People were a agricultural people, the rich regions of Bandung. They builded a dynamic tradition which comprises the practiced Wayang Golek doll/puppet theatre, and so many musical styles. As Juliaen de Silva wrote in her book in 1614 "There is a city called Bandung, comprising 25 to 30 houses."

The accomplishments of The adventurers from Europe to seek their luck in the productive and rich of Bandung area, led finally to 1786 as a road was developed connecting Bogor, Jakarta, Bandung, and Cianjur. This flow was enlarged since 1809. Louis Napoleon, the leader from the Netherlands, commanded Governor General H.W. Daendels, to strengthen defenses in Java in opposition to English. The idea was a sequence of military defense things and a source road between Cirebon and. However, this area was wet and swamp, and it was better to build the road of the further south, across the Priangan high lands.

Talking about the history of Bandung, we will remember the Big Post Road was built around 11 miles north of the (then called) capital of Bandung. With this usual brevitys, Daendels commanded the capital of Bandung to be re-located to the road. Bupati Wiranata Kusumah II chosen a site in the south of the road on the western side of the Lake Cikapundung, close a pair of blessed wells, Sumur Bandung, assumedly protected by the very old goddess Nyi Kentring Manik. On this site he built his palace and the Bandung city square (alun-alun). Go along the traditional orientations, Mesjid Agung (The Grand Mosque of Bandung) was built on the western side, and the big market on the east. His house and Pendopo (meeting place) was placed on the south facing of the mystical mountain of Tangkuban Perahu. Within the l9th Century, South American cinchona (quinine), Assam tea, and coffee was leaded to the uplands. At the end of the 19th century, Priangan (another called for Bandung) was listed as the most rich plantation place of the province. In 1880, the rail line that connecting Bandung and Jakarta was finished, and assured a 2 1/2 hour trip from the Jakarta to Bandung.

Tea Plantation

With this great modification in history of Bandung, cafes, hotels, shopping malls builded up to provide the planters who came down from the highland plantations or up from Bandung. The Concordia Society was developed and the large ballroom was the magnet for social meeting at the weekend activities in Bandung city. The Grand Hotel Preanger and the Savoy Homann Hotel were the best hotels of choice. The Braga street became the popular as there are many exclusive Europeans shops. *

With the railroad, light industry flourished. Once raw plantation crops were sent directly to Jakarta for shipment to Europe, now primary processing could be done efficiently in Bandung. The Chinese who had never lived in Bandung in any number came to help run the facilities and vendor machines and services to the new industries. Chinatown dates from this period.

Talking about History of Bandung, in the first years of the present century, Pax Neerlandica was proclaimed, resulting in the passing of military government to a civilian one. With this came the policy of decentralization to lighten the administrative burden of the central government. And so Bandung became a municipality in 1906.

Old Braga Street

Braga Street Now

This turn of events left a great impact on the city. City Hall was built at the north end of Braga to accommodate the new government, separate from the original native system. This was soon followed by a larger scale development when the military headquarters was moved from Batavia to Bandung around 1920. The chosen site was east of City Hall, and consisted of a residence for the Commander in Chief, offices, barracks and military housing.

By the early 20's the need for skilled professionals drove the establishment of the technical high school that was sponsored by the citizens of Bandung. At the same time the plan to move the capital of the Netherlands Indies from Batavia to Bandung was already mature, the city was to be extended to the north. The capital district was placed in the northeast, an area that had formerly been rice fields, and a grand avenue was planned to run for about 2.5 kilometers facing the fabled Tangkuban Perahu volcano with Gedung Sate at the south end, and a colossal monument at the other. on both sides of this grand boulevard buildings would house the various offices of the massive colonial government.

Along the east side of the Cikapundung River amidst natural scenery was the campus of the Technische Hoogeschool, dormitories and staff housing. The old campus buildings and its original landscaping reflect the genius of its architect Henri Maclain Pont. The southwestern section was reserved for the municipal hospital and the Pasteur Institute, in the neighborhood of the old quinine factory. These developments were carefully planned down to the architectural and maintenance details. These years shortly before World War II were the golden ones in Bandung and those alluded to today as Bandung Tempoe Doeloe.

The war years did little to change the city of Bandung, but in 1946, facing the return of the Colonial Dutch to Indonesia, citizens chose to burn down their beloved Bandung in what has become known as Bandung Lautan Api, Bandung Ocean of Fire. Citizens fled to the southern hills and overlooking the "ocean of flames" penned "Halo Halo Bandung," the anthem promising their return. Political unrest colored the early years of Independence and consequently people flocked to Bandung where safety was. The population skyrocketed from 230,000 in 1940 to 1 million by 1961. Economic prosperity following the oil boom in the 70's pushed this further so that by 1990 there were 2 million inhabitants.

Present day Bandung is thriving. As home to more than 35 schools of higher education, there is a vibrant collegiate atmosphere. The excellent fine arts offerings have produced an artist colony of great repute and excitement. The textile industry is the largest in the country and contributes to a vigorous business climate.

In 1987 the city extended its administrative boundaries toward a Greater Bandung Plan (Bandung Raya) Plans for the city include higher concentrations of development outside the current city centre, in an attempt to dilute some of the population density in the old core. These days Bandung Raya is still years ahead, yet the land has suffered deeply. Commercial activities run amok, God only knows who can take control. The city core is practically uprooted, old faces are torn down, lot sizes regrouped, and what was idyllic residence is now bustling chain supermarkets and rich banks.

Bandung MapMap of Bandung


Post a Comment

Ping Blog

Step 1
Blog URL:

Blog Title (optional):

Blog RSS Feed (optional):

I agree with terms of service.

Step 2
Copy the following code and put it on your blog/site to help our blog ping tool track your submission (Need help?):

Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Coupons